Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jesus As A Political Movement?

I just finished watching the documentary, Jesus Camp, and I want to share my thoughts on it.

Let me first start off by saying that fundamentalist Christianity is something I separate myself from and do not support. There is a difference between following Jesus with faith and implementing a religion with a political agenda.

I support teaching kids about God but there comes a time when you cross the boundaries between teaching and pure indoctrination or brainwashing, if you will. I feel the latter is the case with the people featured in this film. These kids are basically regurgitating everything their parents and their church leaders are telling them. It's like they don't think for themselves.

BINGO!

These leaders KNOW the kids can't think for themselves so they mold their minds to fit their own beliefs and agendas. Do you really think this was what Jesus had in mind? God gave us free minds to choose whether to follow Him or not and these parents are not giving them that choice. They are robbing them of the opportunity to come to God when they feel ready to be there. There is no faith here, only spoon-fed religious garbage.

I especially was disgusted when they were "blessing" President Bush. I wanted to punch my TV. If these idiots really knew what President Bush was doing with his terms in office, they wouldn't be supporting him. They're so obsessed with having a "Christian nation" that they totally dismiss the corruptness of their hailed leaders. These people are also led by the disgraced pastor, Ted Haggard. If anyone followed the news, you know what happened with him and his hypocrisy. It's hard to preach on homosexuality and all that's wrong with it and up end on the news getting caught with a gay prostitute. Good job, swifty.

This country was NOT founded on Judeo-Christian principles. America was founded with the freedom of religion, no matter what you believed in. I refuse to believe that just America is "God's country". There are plenty of people in other countries who are living for God and it's a slap in the face to them when America claims to be God's country. We are the most scandalous and corrupted nation on Earth. Our government is corrupted. Our politics are corrupted. It seems like you can't trust anything.

Question everything.

I have a major problem with extremism. I have a problem with extremism in everything pertaining to politics or religion or whatever. It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church fundamentalists. You know, the God Hates Fags people.

BUT.

That's a whole 'nother issue that I will address at another time.

If you get a chance, check out the Jesus Camp documentary and see for yourself the craziness that people do, say and think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brandon; i can't think of a thing that I would add or subtract from your piece on "Jesus as a Political Movement." WELL SAID, and I hope to see a posting from you regarding the "God hates fags" people.